Monday, September 08, 2008

Third Time's the Charm: Part Two


In which I try desperately to fulfill my need for thick glorious lashes at the drugstore.

My new office building has a CVS in it.

I'll let that soak in for a second.

Yup, so that means that on my way into the office, out of the office, to grab lunch, to go to a meeting, coming back from a meeting (you get the point) I can stop into the drugstore and browse the new mascaras, eyeliners, shampoos, etc.

It's very dangerous.  Especially since I jones for new mascara like Heidi must jones for synthetic fillers.

So, on one of these trips, I noticed that Maybelline mascaras were two for one!  I picked up a tube of my current love of the moment, the XXL and was struck by a fat yellow tube labeled COLOSSAL.

Since I didn't have the foresight to have someone lash (no pun intended) to the mast of a ship or something, I could not resist the siren song of the promise of thick glossy lashes.

So imagine the let down when I busted open the tube and discovered a similar wet formula like the Lash Blast.  Seriously....are these the same?  The Colossal was distinguished by an uber funky smell.

That was special.

I tried once or twice to use it again but was put off by the smell.

And into the trash it went.

to be continued....

No joke, as I was writing this post and watching The Hills (that's right, I multitask) the commercial for this mascara came on.  No mention of funk smell.  Call the FTC.

photo courtesy of drugstore.com

10 comments:

iowagirl301 said...

Have you tried Neutrogena Healthy Volume yet, I've been reading about this one a lot lately, supposed to not have that funk smell, & you can layer it over & over without it clumping. Gonna give this one a try myself at the next trip to the drugstore.

Ally said...

I bought this on a similiar deal about a month ago. I HATED IT the first time I used it but for some reason, I stuck with it and I like it a lot now.

But the smell...omg. It smells like two things:

1) prescription nasal spray

2) stale beer

*gags*

Kim (Blog Writer, A Life of Style) said...

There's a CVS in the lobby of my work building too...Love it! Maybe you got a bad tube of Colossal, I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and haven't noticed a smell.

marisol said...

I have heard that they are both very similar. Sorry that it didn't work out for you.

Life is Reed-iculous! said...

if you don't mind forking out some dough for amazing, almost fake looking lashes...go for DiorShow mascara. i bought it recently and it is Fabulous. and i have pathetic thin, semi-short lashes and it works wonders for me. good luck!

thepreppyprincess said...

I would be in agreement with Life is Reed-iculous on the Dior Show, and I say this after years and years as a Lancome mascara addict! I purchased mine a few weeks back and absolutely love it, despite early skepticism.

It's too bad about the Maybelline mascara, it sounded just nasty!

Grins & giggles for the rest of the week!
TP

Emilita said...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who admits to watching The Hills ;)

Kenz said...

Last week I found myself at CVS (instead of Duane Reade) and I bought this mascara.
I definitely noticed a different smell, but it wasn't horrible. Now, after using it for several days, I can tell you that I like something about it. I LOVE that it doesn't run.
I definitely don't mind spending $$ on products that do what they claim, but this cheap, drug store stuff seems to do the best job.

dcsas said...

I hate the smell too--and I'm not in love with the job that it does. Ugh, can't we just get think, unclumped, long lashes for $8 dollars?

~M said...

I realize this is about a month old (I just discovered your blog and am going through old posts), but I love Imju Fiberwig Mascara, it only comes in black and it costs $22, but you can layer and layer it and it actually extends your eyelashes. I have short very thin lashes, but it makes my lashes actually look like a normal person's lashes or even better.