Monday, July 02, 2007

Nice & Easy


This weekend I did something I almost never do.



What, you ask? Sleep til 11? Pretend to clean my apartment and end up watching TV and reading magazines? Drink white wine in place of dinner? Nope, I do that stuff all the time!


I returned a beauty product.



Insert gasps of shock and awe here.




Typically, when I don't love a beauty product, I sort of suck it up and move on, or try to find another home for it with a friend or loved one. Somewhere where it will have lots of room to run around and play. Or, I leave it languishing underneath my sink until I move and throw everything away in a fit.




But not this time. This time, I was mad.




I saw an article about Bumble and Bumble's Curl Conscious Curl Creme in the July issue of Washingtonian magazine and got all hot and bothered about it. It seemed so effortless to make easy frizz free waves! But this is also the magazine that devoted an entire issue to how rich Washingtonians are without a single mention of how the other half (actually, a lot of DC) struggles to make ends meet.




So, the Curl Creme sort of made me look like that time I accidentally washed my hair with hand lotion instead of shampoo. I think I'll just stick to trusting their restaurant reviews from now on.




So, I returned the offending hair product and coughed up a little extra to trade up to the Laura Mercier Metallic Creme Eye Colour (yes, British spelling. I can't get Blogger to make the accent grave in "creme" though.) I originally had my heart set on Mercury, a silvery purple, but they were out of it, so I picked Titanium, a grey-purple, instead.




I've been pretty pleased so far. The creme goes on easily and blends really well, leaving a light veil of shimmery color that doesn't crease or smudge. With a little extra layer or a swipe of my purple crayon-esque Sephora liner, it morphs into a fast evening look, which will make it tops on my list for travel and for those days when you have to go all day to different events and can only carry one small purse. (seriously, they should have a beauty Olympics. that kind of day would be like the biathalon, a.k.a. the awesomest event EVER)




So, I guess the moral of my story is, if at first you believe the lousy beauty advice of a magazine and buy a dud, return it and try, try again!
photo courtesy of lauramercier.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, the eyeshadow sounds lovely. Any chance you could post an extreme closeup?

BabsieD said...

I've returned more products than you can shake an Essie-manicured finger at. You can return any product to the better dept. stores, and while they may give you "the look," they'll do it, usually with no questions asked.

For as many times as I've fallen for their hard sell, the least I can do is return a few horribly matched foundations!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the eyeshadow, thanks for suggeting it with violet... wouldn't have though of that. Please suggest more eyeshadow/eyeliner combos in the future. Simple, and beautiful.

Boudoir Betty said...

I'm sorry you had a horrible experience with Bumble and Bumble's Curl Conscious Curl Creme, but I have to offer at least a little defense. I have out of control curly hair and spent all of my formative years in the humid south. I think my childhood nickname “afropuff” will give you an idea of how well that worked out. At one point in my life I was actually using no less than 5 products to tame my curls. Now I just use one, Bumble and Bumble's Curl Conscious Curl Creme and its awesome. I have movie star curls without the gross crunch of hairspray. While the product works great for me, I would never have recommended it for preserving waves, the heft of the product would pull the waves out completely.