Monday, November 27, 2006

Bergdorf Bazaar

The beauty department at Bergdorf's can often remind me of a very clean and shiny version of the bazaar in Marrakesh.

Or at least how I imagine the bazaar in Marrakesh to be.

You arrive via escalator and there are salespeople stationed at every turn to try to tempt you into a makeup chair and fork over your credit card. As you wander through the counters, they call at you like the Harpies:

"Can I interest you in anything?"

"Can I help you find anything?"

"Would you like to try...?"

It takes a lot of discipline to try to just look around. First, avoid eye contact with the salesfolk. They can smell weakness. Second, I always try to cut them off with a swift "I'm just looking."

Although it probably comes out a little shrill at the time.

It can be a little nerve racking to be down there, but DAMN! Bergdorf's has the absolute, bar none, best beauty department west of the Mississippi.

Okay, I don't even know what they've got west of the Mississippi, but I like saying it. And it can't be better. There. I said it again.

On a recent visit, I was scouting out Jemma Kidd's newish line (I loooove the hot pink packaging like it was by own child) when my mother announces that she needs a new lipstick.

So I suggested Cle de Peau, for reasons which are clearly NOT selfless. While my mother picked out a beautiful pinky nude color, I picked up a little finders fee in the way of the Eye and Lip Compact III.

Look at it.



















It's so pretty.

The compact comes in a stunning shining navy case with a little plush bag (like a blankie!) and contains three eyeshadows, a lip stain and a lip gloss. The shadows are very sheer, but go on smoothly and have unbelieveable shimmer. The stain is also pretty light and requires lots of layering, but is intensified by the sparkly pink gloss.

Oh also, it comes with a little pad applicator for the eyeshadows (a little whatever in my opinion) and a mini double sided retractable lip brush! It's so cute I just want to cry.

Now, the price of this little baby could make you weep, but guess what? Pearl onions? Peeled about a thousand of those last week. Brussel sprouts? Make them baby and for 15 hungry people, I cleaned them. Yup. That's right. I earned my Cle de Peau compact the hard way.

But at least I didn't have to haggle with the gracious saleslady who sold it to me.

image courtesy of my boyfriend's adorable camera and my crappy photography skills.

12 comments:

Heather Jane said...

I love makeup that looks as pretty on as it does just sitting their in its packaging. The only trouble is, I hate to ruin it's beautiful condition when it's brand-spanking new.

The Glitterati said...

Oh that's purrrty! Especially love the taupe and lavendar shadows. Didja get a chance to check out the concealer? Surely they'd have deigned to let you go home with a sample after all that!

The Glitterati said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I am so with you - avoid eye contact at all costs, or else the plastic is theirs for the taking.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alex Warn said...

It is you who has to take the responsibility to say 'no' sometimes, regulate your load and decide what's in the best interest of your health. Keto Charge Plus

Alex Warn said...

They'd also help you to go on a low-calorie food plan. Inspite of following these, every so often dieters still cannot really achieve their ideal bodyweight. Slimlinic Keto

Alex Warn said...

However, you can make cooking healthy meals a social event and all learn and benefit from the time spent together. Green Vibe Keto

Alex Warn said...

Post completion of two weeks, it is vital that the program based on certain principles is followed religiously. Provitalize Review

Alex Warn said...

The desire to weigh what you weighed in high school, many of us have at least unrealistic. Keto Infinite Accel

Alex Warn said...

These principles help one in shedding weight faster. The principles include performing strength training at least three times a week, drinking large quantities of water, boosting the rate of metabolism in body, reduction of stress, undergoing high intensity interval training, eating six small meals during the day and eating foods that are rich in health like vegetables, fruits, and lean proteins. The principles also list out the foods that need to be avoided. Top Organic Keto