Monday, June 19, 2006

Expect the Unexpected

One of my favorite things about New York is that you never know where you might find great stuff.

In my other life, you might know me as West End Avenue Barbie. I was raised in NY, and although I have defected to DC, I still visit the Paterland often.

Okay, some books you are free to judge by their covers, like the B Triumvirate (Barney's, Bendel's and Bergdorf's), but you could be surprised the beauty finds at your local off-chain drugstore.

When I was in high school, the place to be was a mini-chain called Love's, which stocked everything you could need for your urban teenaged life (except Manic Panic, for which you had to visit Ricky's, which still reigns supreme for the best selection of designer hair products and nail polishes in the 212 area code). There was another place called Good Buy that stocked Terax Crema Conditioner for 3 dollars less than every other store in the city. "Don't ask, don't tell" was my policy on that one. But my hair was soft and silky!

My current favorite hideaway is a place called Essentials. Located on a random corner of the Upper West Side, this twisty turny store stocks the best of drugstore hair and beauty supplies. Including...the Zero Frizz line!

So, I tried out the Curl Rescue Spray.

While my hair is often straight, it does contain just enough wave to make me puffy on the humid days and gives me just a hint of cowlick on the ends. However, it's not enough to pull off that wavy sexy beach hair look.

Because that would make my life waaaay too easy.

I liked the Curl Rescue Spray though, it allowed my hair to wave convincingly without falling flat (In the interest of full disclosure, I did do a little coaxing by twisting my hair and scrunching to make it wavy). There was still a little puffiness, so I raked a little Oscar Blandi Hair Serum (I said goddamn! That stuff smells so awesome) and off I went with the wavy hair.

I recommend this and I also suggest you check out the random places in your neighborhood.

You never know who'll be selling Creme de la Mer that fell off a truck of something...

Let me know if you find any good spots and maybe I'll share my little address book too.

no photo because Blogger hates my guts. Check out the link.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Capitol Hill Barbie!

Zero Frizz is an AMAZING line. I recently purchased the shampoo and conditioner from a clearence bin at my local drugstore and it was the best purchase. It really does smooth out my hair, without making it fall flat (which I am petrified of).
Thanks for posting about it!